Friday, June 13, 2008

Salmah a.k.a. Dekma.

13.6.2008.


Salmah, or Dekma, my recently turned 53-year-old sister (Happy Birthday to You !) has only recently started to visit my blogs, and as expected, given her unsolicited comments. I have accordingly responded. Actually we could have called her Saloma. All my other sisters were given beautiful names starting with "Nor" by my late father. But as was common in those days, my father sent my mother back to the kampong to give birth to Salmah. We were in Tanjong Malim where my father taught at the Sultan Idris Training College (now UPSI). The only means of communication for us from Tanjung Malim to the kampong then was by post. We didn't have any telephones. So when news of Salmah's arrival in this world was received, my father quickly posted a letter giving the exquisite name "Nor Ashikin".

Unfortunately the post in those days were as bad as nowadays. Before the letter arrived my quick-thinking late grandmother had already given the name Salmah, after, would you believe it, the  singer Salmah Ismail. The singer, as we know, was more popularly known as "Saloma". Unfortunately my sister did not take after the singer in as far as singing is concerned. Come to think of it, I've never heard her sing. Fortunately. 

 As she grew we simplified the already simple name to Dek Mah, short for adik Salmah, and through usage became Dek Ma, and eventually Dekma. Naturally she calls herself Adik, or Dek, even though now she's a very old adik indeed ! Ha, ha. 

In her studies Dekma was more successful, nevertheless. She went to Tunku Kurshiah College, Seremban, was sent by MARA to do her "A" levels at Sheffield, England and later to Coventry University, England and graduated in Botany or something. I might add, besides acquiring a degree she also acquired a husband while in England. Neat. 

My parents somehow managed to visit her in England before her marriage. But when Dekma returned with Kamar, a civil engineer from Rantau, my mother held a second ceremony at home, complete with wedding dress and everything.

Dekma later got her Masters in Education here in Malaysia and as far as I know is still teaching in a private institution in KL. 

Four beautiful and very bright daughters were bestowed upon her in the marriage. Dahlia is an Accounts graduate, Aishah is in Vancouver, Nora a medical student, and Sabrina ( I call her Ribena ) is pursuing pre-u studies. The girls are very sharp and, especially Nora, very independent. I have no reason to doubt they would do well in life. 

I've told Dekma to let Aishah get a PR in Canada so we can spread our family wings, and later also visit. I already have one nephew working in London, and one neice working in Perth, Australia.

 So, Dekma, when you read this you will know how you got a totally out of tune name, although your namesake could more than carry a tune. It's not too late to try and learn how to sing. Ask Kamar to buy some cds and play them on your pc. I doubt you'll make it to AF 7, though. Or 8, or 9, or 25.


..........................................................................................................

1 comment:

Salmah said...

Along,
Love the story how I got my name. I was given a different version. I was suffering from a bad rash and Wan said the name Nur Asyikin was not suitable for me so they changed it to Salmah. Did it work?Whatever, I am stuck with the name. I can carry a tune or two. But then many people are named Mahathir and Anwar and for the matter Muhammad and they don't all become PM or DPM or a prophet. I name my daughter Aishah after the great mother of all muslims. I hope she can have some good traits from the great woman. As for the name of the other daughters, I cannot impose too much on giving them good muslim names. My husband has his own ideas. I give in for the sake of family harmony. Still, I don't believe we should name call.