Thursday, June 5, 2008

Calit and sekolah kole.

5.6.2008.


We were at Indoyo's house since morning, helping prepare for Saturday's betrothal of Erin, her daughter. When I arrived Calit, Boy and Ghaffal were already almost finishing their hard work at the" kawah" stirring strenously at the fast thickening "penganan". I had parked my car at my mother's and walked the 100 meters here, but not before putting on Calit's new boots I found at the doorsteps. "Oi, tie the laces lah, they're getting in the mud !" Calit exclaimed, spotting them immediately. I thought he wouldn't notice. I took the wooden peddle from Calit and made a couple of twirl and passed it back. That was my contribution. When Neng had prepared the vessels with the banana leave lining, I took the first plate of very black, very hot, very sweet  "penganan" as it's commonly called here. In Tampin it's called gelamai, so also I found out in Sumatera Barat (Minang country, that is).

Calit had written briefly in his Gentri post about himself, how he attended "sekolah kole"(kindergaten - because you carried your own mug or "kole" ), TMS, where he was fastest over the hurdles but slowest in between, Whitewater, Wisconsin, where he surprisingly got his first degree, and UKM,where he more suprisingly got his MBA. He didn't mention about his stint in MAS, where obviously didn't learn about check-in time, because Kasah Ahwal said he nearly missed his flight in LA and when he finally made it into the aircraft just as the doors were being shut, everyone in the plane applauded.

So after the penganan was safe and stored, Mat Cit, Calit, Boy and I jumped into Jingkong's old car with the broken a/c and went to see the famous sekolah kole. When we got there Calit and I got out and I started to take some pictures with my new camera-phone. I took some long shots, and then went very close to the school sign board and took some more pictures. "What are you up to ?" Calit is always suspicious of me. And I took some more pictures of the muddy puddles in the field. I've already got an idea about what to do with the pictures. 

Then I took some pictures of the government quarters opposite the sekolah kole - no. 420, Jalan Tengku Berhanuddin. We used to live here before building our own house where my mother is now. Once I get the hang of my new camera-phone I'll write a bit more on the sekolah kole and paste the appropriate photos with the appropriate captions. For the time being I'll say this about the signboard picture that I took. The colour is dark green. But I don't know if there's any mention of kole. It's all in Tamil.


....................................................................................................

2 comments:

Salmah said...

What's with all the name calling? I would like to think of them as terms of endearment.
Dekma

zainal mokhtar said...

They are, they are.
Like Conen, Mashitok, Din Pendek,Ati Kiok, Yam Tek,Indoyo etc.
If you can't give your near and dear names, who can ?