Monday, May 5, 2008

A Malay-Javanese Wedding.

6.5.2008.


Last Sunday Idah & I went to a Malay-Javanese wedding in Meru, Kelang. The Malay portion is from my first cousin, Jimikoling, while the Javanese one is from his wife, Su, who's from Meru. Since Jimi is the husband, the Malay part precedes in the hyphenated adjective.

To begin with, it was a long drive from Seremban, and felt more so since it was immediately after my golf competition which I completed at 12 noon. On long journeys I prefer to drive my 19-year old MB 300SE, so there was no question as to who drives that car - me. The last time we were here was when Jimi got married about 20 years ago. Anyway, the wedding invitation came with a schemetic map, so in the end the house was easily located. My wife was no help, though, although she was looking at the map while still on the NKVE. This time PLUS got it right with clear signage directing to Meru on the highway. Once we reached Meru town, the As Syarif mosque and Jalan Kopi that were clearly indicated on the map, together with the bunga manggar markers prominently tied to a few strategic posts helped us reach our destination in good time. I think it was a smart 75-minute drive.

There was no way we could park the car anywhere close to the house. So I chose a spot under a small tree on the roadside about 100 meters away. As I was parking the car, Rizal my nephew parked alongside, with my brother Mashitok and my sister-in-law Yah Doktor Bahagian Dapur (Calit gave her that monicker). I gave Rizal a kick in the shins and asked for RM 10, which he grinningly obliged, which I put together with my RM 50 that I later gave to the bride's mother. (my wife just called - we're visiting her sister who's unwell in Taman Melawati, so I'm stopping here and will continue later).



...............................................................................................................

No comments: