Thursday, September 1, 2016

A.K.Bear, Kamariah and ending a 91-day forced golf break.

2.9.2016.


59 years of Merdeka and I was reflecting on it, and then I bumped into A.K.Bear and Kamariah Sabeh outside the Uda Mall, Ampangan ( more popularly known as Giant Ampangan because of the chief tenant ) in  not so convivial circumstances. It's been 56 and 51 years since I've known  of them, respectively. Incredible numbers, these.

It was Thursday noon, September the 1st. 2016, and I was waiting for Maulud to go to KL for "jalan-jalan". That morning I'd broken my 91-day forced break from golf and played 9 holes with Maulud, using a buggy. I dared not force the issue because I wasn't sure I should even try to play again so soon. My small-of-the-back hurt hasn't completely disappeared after all the medications and x-ray and accupuncture and physiotherapy.  But I can walk without discomfort, and I haven't touched the clubs for three months. And Maulud, my old adversary, called at 6.45 am. I had to take the buggy, though, and couldn't help demanding the usual wager. "Loser pays for roti canai at KRS!" KRS is our regular watering hole in Ampangan, because Umi works there, but that is a different story. I lost the bet because Maulud birdied the 9th. hole, a par-3 and our last for the day. Considering the lay-off, I didn't play terrible. It was a score of 46, at handicap 14 a  3-over.  I even birdied the par 4 fourth hole  with a chip-in ! But that last-hole birdie beat me.

My wife drove me to the Uda Mall to wait for Maulud. I was walking up to the ATM's when lo!, there was A.K.Bear, both hands full of groceries, going back to his car. He asked if Hank had invited me for the class reunion and I said no and cursed him because he has my number and we're in contact. Anyway, it seemed just a moment and Bear walked away, and the next moment  I turned the same way, and around the corner of the Mall I saw a small crowd around Bear who was on the ground on his back between his car and the curb, and his groceries all over the pavement. I rushed and with other helping hands pulled Bear on to a sitting position, everyone sounding concerned, and poor Bear with beads of sweat streaming down his forehead.

Just then Kamariah Sabeh appeared out of nowhere, trying to be helpful. We recognized each other - it's been many,  long years since we last met, although she stays nearby - and I promptly asked her to fetch a glass of warm water for Bear. Water seems to work in such a situation. I gave the order to Kamariah a schoolmasterly tone, but she obeyed and quickly came back with a mug of warm water from the restaurant from across the road. She said I should drive Bear back, but he declined and said he'll just rest a bit, and after he'd calm down, I held up traffic in that busy side road, and guided Bear out of his parking spot. I told him to go for a medical check up immediately, but saw him cross the traffic lights straight up instead of turning right to Gedung Lalang where his house is. And then I guessed he must be going to BSN there, because I met him years ago at that same bank and he said he gets his pension from BSN.

Meanwhile Kamariah drove off with her windows down and shouted "no commission ah !"

Just now I told her, in front of the resting Bear, I remember going to her house in Terusan with Fadzil, and she was in the "sawah" behind the house. We were in the U.M. then. Mischievously I asked her if she was really divorced from Basirudin, whom I know, but she said no, but Basiruddin is divorced from his second wife! "Fadzil got married again isn't it ?" she countered. They were classmates. With Najirah.  I say this because out of the blue she said "Najirah lost her husband", but I didn't respond to it.

This is a lot of trivia, but surprise remains that decades of now non-contact friendship came face-to-face in a narrow side road under a health-scare situation, and so much in the past wanted to blurt out and the circumstances just seemed both hilarious and scary and impossible at the same time.

Aah ! We should live a day at a time, and be thankful that family and friends make each day enjoyable. For me, meeting old friends are always happy moments. Throw in a bit of golf, and I couldn't be happier.


...........................................................................................

3 comments:

kaykuala said...

My,my,my! Zam, what a stroke of good fortune. Names fly incessantly and all the memories are traced back to half a century. First things first, how's Bear! It is no joke to be sprawled on the ground. A check-up is mandatory. Hoping he's not taking it lightly. At this point of time any tell-tale sign and in this case it was very apparent and must be addressed immediately. Btw Bear should have mentioned it was confined to Class of '64 and only 13 were involved

And how's KS? Not seen her after '68.

Hank

zainal mokhtar said...

KS and old memories,eh ? Like you she's older looking. Unlike you her hair is grey ha ha! I've not followed up with Bear, unfortunately, but I hope he's ok.

zainal mokhtar said...

Hank, Bear did call me on the 6th. I was in KL caught in the usual traffic jam. He said he's ok now. He said he forgot his bp pills that morning, now it's normal.