Friday, October 2, 2009

Othman Abdul.

2.10.2009.


Othman called me out of the blue to-day, before Friday prayers. He didn't tell me what prompted him, since it must have been at least two years that he last called. We spoke a while, but to the end the real reason for calling never came out. He taught me a few Japanese words, so we signed off by my saying to him "mata ai masho" - till we meet again. 

We worked together for four-and-a quarter years 15 years ago. Actually I had met him before that at a golf competition, so I remembered him when we met again at work. When I left, he remained behind, but soon after he also left to team up with a friend and are still together until to-day. Also, when we parted company, I vaguely remember he had 5 children. Just now he said  he has 10. Five are already at university, reading various subjects, so it's quality with quantity, great!. 

We shared a common vice in golf. We were about the same handicap then, and I have the feeling that that situation has not changed, in spite of his protestations. So we should get together again soon, I said, and he agreed. 

Othman was Marketing Manager, although his training was different. My, did he do a bloody good job, too. He was given full reins and made the most of the trust given. There were many inspiring incidents involving him and his marketing ploys. The performance of the company was proof of the good work put, though HQ did not fully appreciate the methods, and by HQ I mean one particular guy who said "marketing is nothing." He has since left the HQ and in fact died. 

The team that was put by Othman was tremendously creative and highly motivated, right down to the lowest ranking staff. When the fleet operations were first launched at midnight out of container-boxes that served as temporary offices, everybody involved came, many in their sarongs. It was so exciting, and that excitement, for me, lasted for my entire four plus years with the bunch.  The new routes, and the new clientle that Othman and his able assistants developed were truly great fun. For me, and for the independence I enjoyed for most of my stay, those were eye-opening and wonderful and satisfying years. Alas, they didn't last for me in my last few months, not because what we did were wrong, but because our methods were deemed questionable and that version of things won the day at HQ, all because of the myopia and bias of that particular guy mentioned earlier. 

I'm glad Othman called and brought back happy memories. I wish him well. "Dai jo bu, Othman-san." 


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: