Friday, October 9, 2009

A.K.Bear.

9.10.2009.

This Sunday Hank has organized a sort of reunion at A.K.Bear's house in Seremban for some Budak Boys. Bear himself has not sent out any similiar message, electronic or otherwise, so I assume the host has consented.

This might very well serve as the 50th. anniversary for the group, having first come together in 1960 or thereabout. By all accounts, everyone is retired. By some accounts, some  have sadly passed on, God save their souls.

I'm included in the confirmed coming list for this Sunday. It's in my town, and these are some very old friends I'm keen to meet again. Most of them I have not maintained regular contacts with all these years. But experience has taught me not to expect too much. Many times in the past I had bumped into some old school friends (not the Budak Boy type) that I recognized in spite of the passage of time, and I had warmed up to, only to be given a kind of cool reception instead. It seems nostalgia doesn't affect everybody in the same way. Or perhaps the other blokes couldn't recall anything. 

Most of the names that I saw on Hank's list have gone on to the top of their professions.  I don't expect less of a Budak Boy. Some have taken circuitous routes there, but I know most have served nobly and without fanfare.

As a parent myself, I'm keen to find out how their children have moved on in life. For all you know, our children might at this very moment be in related fields or even in the same organizations.

Bear built his big house where he's spending his retirement now only after he retired.   His old family house that has now been vacant for a long time is just a short distance away from this new place. When asked  his  answer was the sisters often come back to clean the place. 

Bear must have a lot of bush jackets,  because every time I see him nowadays, he'd be wearing one. He  still drives his last staff car, most probably given to him as a parting momento. The paintwork could do with some rework, though.  Obviously Bear has other priorities. He's a member of SIGC, and we've met there a few times. Unfortunately he doesn't play golf, which is surprising, because he was a national tennis player while still in school. I'm told Bear has been  vocal at the club's AGMs.

So I look forward to Sunday, see some old friends, crack some old jokes, and catch up with what's new with the old candidate at Bagan Pinang. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: