Sunday, October 18, 2009

A fully exploited Sunday.

18.10.2009.

This morning it was my usual round of golf at the club. I got out of a possible mess with a timely call of my mobile. I had promised to join Muhsin "the Beltless" (he doesn't wear a belt but looks like he needs one) for this morning, yesterday, before Kampong Pro asked to play with him this morning, also yesterday. I said I was fixed for 9 holes, but Kampong Pro said that's OK, he'll join some others for the second 9. Then Muhsin the Beltless called too late last night saying he'd asked Mubin the Shepherd and Maulud Tok Lembago to make our foursome. When I called Kampong Pro this morning, he was still at home, so I said sorry Muhsin the Beltless had arranged the flight without telling me earlier, and since we're only for 9 holes can I go ahead without him, and Kampong Pro said OK lah, go ahead. What a relief !. 

At 2.30 I went for a Hari Raya do in PJ (PJ in Seremban, not PJ Selangor), organized by an association I'm involved in. The reception was to be from 11 am to 4 pm, but I called Khairuddin, the host, that I'll come at the tail end because I'm sure most will come early, so I should come later to balance the attendance. It was the usual lemang-rendang-ketupat-kuah kacang fare, and this was the penultimate day of Shawal, so it wasn't very exciting food, nor too much talk. The crowd was already sparse, and except for a few faces, I couldn't recognize many people, what with most faces changed with age. 

At 6.30 Kak Tun, Tok Mail's wife, called, inviting us for dinner at Sungai Ujung Club at 8.15. "Wear shoes" she warned. I accepted the invitation and told the wife we'll leave after Maghrib prayers. When I finished prayers she was already dressed, so we were at the club before 8. And before our hosts. 

We thought it was to be a reception for the recent marriage of their daughter in Singapore to her Irish boss, but it wasn't. It was just dinner for the four of us. Kak Tun and my wife are in the same association and meet often and get on well, so it was another dinner for them. Tok Mail and I also share a few activities together, so it was also another dinner for us. The setting was pleasant enough and we talked  and finished the food, except for some remaining buttered prawns and sambal that were dog-bagged. 

We spoke of the Bagan Pinang bye election and the recent UMNO General Assembly, and made different jocular remarks, not unlike the many that have been passed around. While picking from the mixed fruit platter, I mentioned the fact that Tok Mail used to eat papayas together with the seeds. That was when Kak Tun remembered a funny incident involving Tok Mail. Kak Tun had tears running down her eyes telling the story and laughing uncontrollably.

We didn't linger long. Still, the club was already quite empty when we left at close to 10, but it was early night yet. It was a nice little dinner, and totally unexpected. I'll have to reciprocate, I suppose. 


 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

arthousist said...

Pretty reach schedule. I like golf.