Thursday, May 26, 2022

Ex FMC KL Raya 2022.

This time it was the Ex FMC Raya do in KL.

At first it was the "BB" from PD only. That meant those Old Putra "Budak Boys" who enrolled in Federation Military College in Port Dickson. That meant those who enrolled up to 1961 only. (From April 1961 FMC moved to the first new campus at Sg. Besi, and was renamed Royal Military College. Since then the college has again moved to the second Sg. Besi campus, just next to the old one).  Later the committee decided to include BB 1964, reasoning that the 1961 intake lasted until 1964 in Upper 6. The event was also finally fixed at 26th May, instead of 2 previous other dates proposed. The Army owners, of course, have priority on the use of the hall.

The committee formed to organize this Raya celebration met several times, and even had a "dry run" one day before the eventual  day, that turned into a "wet run". KL (and Seremban, too) had a very heavy downpour that changed everybody's plans. In short the committee worked very hard at making this Raya gathering a success, and didn't allow the quirks of nature to interfere. And I think the objective was achieved, even if right in the middle of the feast the elecrical power supply for the grand hall of this grand building on top of the grand hill belonging to the grand Malaysian Armed Forces was lost. For the rest of the day we had to contend with some sort of secondary supply, but fortunately, or perhaps miraculously, the air-conditioning remained intact throughout. (Whenever the electrical power to my humble house gets interrupted, which is too often, one phone call to TNB would get it remedied within 2 hours, each time and every  time.)

We had expected 250 people, but this wasn't achieved, because there were still name tags left at the reception. The 15-sheet attendance forms I brought were also largely unsigned. But there were no seats vacant where Gen. Borhan's book launch pre-Raya feast was held in the foyer. This was, of course, not for 250. But all tables were occupied in the main hall later. When I eventually joined the eating, I had to park myself in the first chair I saw vacant, but the table said "1964". I'm "1961". The tables were according to years of intake. Fortunately, Shamsul Qamar was already sitting there, and he's 1961, too. So Shamsul also didn't "follow procedure". Bad boy !

Hank and I were put in charge of "reception & donation". I brought my cousin Jimi, firstly because I needed his Grab ride, but secondly to help man the tables. He did. Nawi must have observed it. Before we left, he approached me and asked if we should give him some "ang pow". "Why not ?" I said. Jimi got his ang pow. And later his fare, too (burp!).

This being an old-school thing, it wasn't surprising that there were many walking sticks and young assistants in sight, as the BB's entered the reception hall. There was even a wheelchair-bound BB. But all BB's, able or not so able, were in good spirits. Coming from the college, there were all kinds of success stories here, from the armed forces, the civil service, the professions and the corporate world. The fact they all came in spite of the traffic (it was a working day), the weather (it was drizzling, and when it rains heavily in KL, choose your route well, or else !) and the special transport requirements (many were driven instead of driving) was testement to that. There were loud howls of joy of recognition for so many who have obviously not met each other for so long. And the darkened hall and the too loud, live music (Spider complained about this) didn't seem to hamper the lively, simultaneous talking at the tables. I don't think they got every word uttered, but these were just sounds amidst happy recognition of  old friends of those youthful years reunited, much yearned, now much appreciated in nostalgia. And always hanging over the mind, the unanswerable question "how many more years ?".

We were among the last to leave. We made it back to Seremban by 6.30 p.m. We had stopped at the Serdang R&R and Hank had his late Asr prayers there. I did mine in the surau at the dewan itself. All three of us had lempengs and hot drinks. In the car, I kept on the chatter with Jimi. Hank was very quiet at the back until we reached his car left parked at Mydin S2 and asked for his other kain samping. He had obeyed ND's  instruction to wear  baju Melayu. He did more. He brought a spare kain samping. He had wanted me to do the same, but I said I preferred baju batik & songkok. We'd wanted to beat everybody arriving first at the dewan, that's why I said we should leave Seremban not later than 8, and we did that. But 2 expected things happened. One, the heavy traffic. Jimmi used his experience. We managed to survive parts of the choked MRR2 and entered MINDEF via Datok Keramat, which was the "back way". Two, only Halim could beat us to the 15 minutes to 10 arrival time. He did, and then some. He was already going through his address notes at the General Borhan's book launch corner.

I'd spoken to a few BB's about that Janda Baik case involving Hank's G college mate, Zainal Abidin, from Taiping. We all felt genuine despair because in Malaysia certain drug offences carry the death penalty. The singer, Yasin, is being charged for having one potted ganja plant. They say he's in deep shit. Zainal was caught planting 102 ganja plants on his Janda Baik  land.

I'd posted a brief on that Janda Baik case on one of the BB's whatsapp groups. I got positive response almost immediately. Most welcome was the one from Jagjit (Rosmah's counsel) who offered legal aid pro bono ! I sms'd Hank when he didn't reply my call. That message he replied, but it was disappointing. He was the one who  told me about this case, in the first place. I'd seen it on the internet before that, but no names were given. I know Zainal by sight, even in college days, but different company boys didn't mix as much as in the same company. Hank was in the same company, and Zainal was only 1 year senior. Nevertheless I immediately felt the pain the family must have felt. On seeing Jagjit's offer, in writing, it was natural that I got back to Hank, hoping he could somehow pass this offer note to Zainal's family - he's in custody. I share the grief. That's why when Hank went to HTJ in the middle of the night because of chest pains, I posted the news in our BB "Form 5 1962" whatsapp group to alert our other BB friends. I immediately saw the positive response from many, and was happy that Hank received them well. I'm sure it brought psychological comfort to him. He didn't know that I started the whole thing. I didn't want any publicity. It was a sincere thing from one very old friend to another. That is the spirit when I talk about Zainal now. Hank now says we shouldn't interfere. But we must interfere. To help a friend in need. We're talking life-and-death here !

FMC days were 6 decades ago. But for me, those school years, including those in even earlier schools, carry cherished memories I'll cling to as long as I can.


.............................................................................................





No comments: