Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Ex Felda Seremban Raya, 2022.

 Tues 24.5.22


I saw the posting on that particular group "Warga PBKF Seremban". Initially I thought I'd miss this one because of another similiar affair I'd confirmed earlier, but this is now postponed to 26/5, so I made it. In fact I was the first guest arriving at 9.05 (the invitation was 9-12.30). The others already milling around all wore small flowers on their bajus - committee members.

The last one we had was, of course, pre-pandemic, 2 years ago. This time they only managed to get this small dewan at Gedung Lalang. Others were all tied up. So a few extra tents were put up to allow for possible overspill. I didn't stay to the end, but looking at the crowd in the dewan proper when I left, I think these were fully utilised. I don't know how many more of these I'll be part of.

I left "Felda Proper" 32 years ago. It wasn't surprising that most of the faces were unrecognizable. The ravages of time didn't help. To make it worse, many still abided by the s.o.p. (trust law-abiding Felda staff) and had masks on. But a few were quickly recognized, and we greeted each other warmly. I was with Salleh and Wahid from the old Seremban office for most of my stay. Both didn't look much different in spite of the years.  But Aman Shah, who was a scheme manager from one of the Jelais, was distinctly old-looking. "75" he said when I asked "how old are you?". He has lost weight. He must have had some health issues. I didn't ask, and we didn't linger.

Rusdi came to sit with me. He said he just sold his house in Carcosa S 2 to Eddin, the Deputy Minister from KP. It was through an agent, because he only found out the real buyer later. Without asking he said it was twice the price he paid for it at 700 K. I told Rusdi, Sith, Eddin's late father, was my classmate until Form 3 at TMS.

Kamaruzzaman, Khairuddin and Mohd. Nor also came by. Ismail Hassan's name was on the list, but Kamaruzzaan said he's not coming. "Not feeling well" he explained. Nursiah Sulaiman, the new PBKF President also came to my table. "Your son often comes by" she said. No 2 Son has been close to Subakri since we were in Damansara Utama. They went to the same school, and through the years have maintained contact to this day, including through their ol' folk soccer. "You look well - for your age" I said to Nursiah. It was meant to be a compliment, and she took it in the same spirit. We never worked in the same department in my 10-year "Felda Proper" years. She was a junior, but she knows how difficult I was, because she commented about it just now. It was said in good spirits, and I took it likewise.

The reason I left the party early was because I wanted to take Fadil to my house.

When he came to the table, wearing his mask, he recognized me immediately. I wasn't wearing mine. I couldn't recognize him, until he took it down, and said his name. But he looks different, I said. Maybe it's the glasses plus the white moustache and whiter goatee.

Fadil and one Safar (now a retired University lecturer) were brought by my late cousin from Butterworth, Mahmud, when they were all still in their fifth forms, all the way to Bukit Temensu. We were all still staying in our grandmother's house there. I was at RMC then. When I worked in Felda, I met Fadil again when I went to Lubok Merbau, Kedah. Later he was posted to Palong, NS. Then I might have met him once, after that, because I checked just now and found his number in my handphone, whose records have never been changed in spite of the many phone changes.

I told Rusdi that I sold my first house in PJ, a few years after I moved to Seremban. Just before Raya I sold one of my cars. A few years ago I transferred my Seremban house to my daughter. I said I don't need the house and the car anymore. We have to come to terms with our time on this earth. Just a simple statement here, and Rusdi concurred.

Conen called to remind me about his "Rayo Kogo" this Saturday. I said I've been informed. I should be there. Just tell Umi the Somban people may expect some Raya money. Dekna is attending some extended meeting of their legal department, and like everything else, these things can stretch forever. So Idah cautioned that Dekna may not be up to the long driving then. But there are other alternatives. These family get-to-gethers should not be missed. Not at my age.  


.......................................................................................................

No comments: