Friday, September 7, 2018

Buying another car

Fri 7 Sep 2018.



Yesterday for the second time in 4 years Sam got involved in getting a new car for me. Also in Kelang, like the last one. Not a new, new car, but a new second-hand car. Since my first car in 1968, yesterday's purchase was my 15th in 50 years, or an average of 3.3 years per car. Of these 15, new and second hand is about even - 8 new and 7 second-hand. I have now 2 remaining in my posession.

For the 14-year period 1980 - 1994 I also had 4 staff cars. 3 were in the Felda Group, the last one in MISC. I was offered the last MISC car at residual value by the Chairman, but Khalid sabotagued him by instructing that I tender for it. I could have called the Chairman and would have his original offer to me restored, I was damn sure,but I would still have to pass through Khalid's line of communication. I was pissed-off by him then, so I just said f.o. and bought myself a brand-new Volvo 940 GL for 130,000. My wife is still driving that 24-year old car, which has not even been overhauled. Khalid has since kicked the bucket. The last few months of his life in hospital,suffering the mosquito-borne germ attack on his brain, he couldn't recognize anyone anymore, I was told.

Yesterday's car that I collected from Sam in Kelang was different. It's my first suv. It's also the first one from India, a Mahindra Sirocco 2 liter registered in 2007. The previous cars were all sedan - a Mini Minor, 3 Fiats, a Toyota, a Peugeot, 3 Protons, and 4 Mercedes's.. And now the Mahindra suv.

I drove slowly from Kelang around 4 p.m. and made several stops for food and prayers. The main reason for the slow drive was this suv is manual. All the while it's been automatic cars, with just my right foot busy. Now it's the clutch-and-gear again, and it's having to practice the driving all over again.

I only told Dekna when I left for Kelang yesterday, and she would of course tell everyone because the whatsapp was busy after that. So today Idah asked why I sold my "nice" Mercedes 280 S. I said "for a change". Also I'd save quite a bit on the operational expenses. The Mercedes was a thirsty 18 m.p.g., the road tax almost 2,000 p.a., and insurance, even at 55% NCD, 1,000. The Mahindra would cost me 380 p.a. road tax, and a better consumption. Or so Sam assured me. I still have to test it.

As I said to Sam, just enjoy this suv. We could always look for a 300 S class in 4 years time. I might just do that.


........................................................................................


No comments: