Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Azahari at KLCentral.

18.3.2015.


I was walking briskly towards "the Swiss Oven" at KLCentral when I spotted Azahari walking slowly towards the escalator. I walked up to him and grabbed his shoulders, surprising him. He looked smaller than he already is, and thinner.
"What're you doin' here ?"
"I'm waiting for someone."
"Come let's go for a drink."

I'd planned the late breakfast, anyway, all the way from Seremban that morning. I'd arranged for a meeting with Awe and his friend from Damansara at 1 o'clock, so there was plenty of time. I thought I'd have my "set no. 7", and then browse at the bookshop on the second floor, and before you know it, it'd 1 o'clock. So instead it's a late breakfast with Azahari Md. Alif, formerly from Kampong Morten, Melaka Town.

We were together at Tanjong Malim. Our fathers were teaching at the S.I.T.C. Back then it was a teachers' college. I was there from 1951 to 1956, when they replaced all the college-trained teachers with graduates.

When I went to U.M. in 1965, I met Azahari again, and renewed our friendship. We used to ride to Dong, Raub, and to my future in-laws' house in Lonek (I didn't know I'd marry my wife then - 6 years later!), and to his house in Kampong Morten. I had my Honda 90; Azahari rode a Lamberetta that looked too big for him.

My second job in 1969 saw me in Felda, and who did I meet in Kuantan on an official trip ? Azahari again ! He was the R.S. there, set up in an abondoned warehouse ! Felda was poor those days.

Then in 1974 I went for a course at Birmingham University, England. Who did I meet at the University ? It was Azahari, again ! He was also attending a course there. In fact I went to his rented house at Sally Oak and had dinner with him and his wife and his eldest daughter. I remember it was still very cold that early April, and they had the much needed electric heater on  all the time!

We talked about old mutual friends from the Tanjong Malim days.
I updated him on Zain Rais, that he's the same bully. We talked about Shukur and Kompot, about Kamal Gemok and Rahim, Cikgu Alang's sons. We remembered Tajudin Arif from Slim River, now deceased. And we discovered we're both 70 !

Then his friend came. He was from Tanjong Malim,too, but I don't remember him. So we parted company. I went to the bookshop and bought "Use your memory" by Tony Buzan.

Awe came right on time. For once.

..........................................................................................

No comments: