Tuesday, October 19, 2010

This week's round up.

19.10.2010.

Had to be early at the "blood centre" at the KKA (Klinik Kesihatan Ampangan) this morning. In fact I was first to arrive ( 6.30 a.m.) and also first in line. The last time, three months ago, I was also first to arrive but was around eighth in line because I did not immediately go to the numbering machine, you know, the contraption they all have at banks and other crowd-collecting centres that quite effectively calm people down to waiting in a more orderly fashion. To day the machine was kaput, but the double-numbered slips were already made available and this was a practical replacement. The only complain to day was the young Malay orderly who came at 7, and at that he was being pressed by an older, more experienced looking female staff who apologised on his behalf - "orang baru, encik" (new staff, sir). I asked what happened to the elderly tall Indian guy who usually opened at 6.45 ? Apparently he had just retired. 

While waiting for the doors to open, I spoke to the old man who came behind me as he opened up his portable chair, and asked how old he was. I did not expect him to mention too old an age, but was surprised that he was, in fact, 83 ! I congratulated him for  his years, forgetting for the moment we were all here in the still dark wee hours for a health check-up. He said that he also sits on a chair when praying in the mosque. The guy behind him joined in and said many old men now bring chairs for prayers, while the young and healthy don't even bother to come. The banter then went to the budget, cheating cases and "Ah Longs" and "orang putih" laws. By then the discussion group had widened up, and I just stopped participating. Then the young Malay orderly came and I went in quickly. 

I had told Tiong Meng to delay play at the Club to day because of the KKA appointment. In fact because I was "no: 1" there was no delay - we teed off at 7.30, our normal time, and I even managed to buy some Malay cakes by the roadside, which was my breakfast because for the blood test I had to fast, so the last meal last night was at 9 p.m., ten hours ago. 

After the game, Tiong Meng, Ah Man and Yu Kan left early after our refreshments at the Club's cafeteria, but I lingered and joined Pak Itam, Sulaiman "Saturday" (Sabtu) and Maulud who came in later because they were two flights behind. As usual the "political talk" was about the MB, Anwar, the PERKASA-UMNO clash and similiar-vein connundrums. 

But Maulud brought mirth when he went tangent to the arguements at hand, and suddenly said he told Baha yesterday about this young chap being interviewed by an old Javanese religious teacher. "How many prayers do we have to perform daily ?" The young man seemed ignorant and keep quiet. "What is the first one ?" he was further asked, and that, too, he did not give an answer. "Subuh !" the old Javanese answered his own question, with some exasperation. "After Subuh ?" he next questioned. Again the poor chap couldn't answer. " Johor !" the old Javanese said in his thick accent for "Zohor" the mid day prayers. "After Johor ?" the old Javanese now quiet angrily queried. The young man now perked up and this time quickly answered "Singapore !" We all had a good laugh. 

Tiong Meng called when I was driving to town for lunch (instead of my Maggi mee) and said there's a golf sale at Jusco, so after lunch I went. But while eating at the stall, alone, because this was almost three and the lunch crowd was gone, I asked the stall staff about the notice "Layan Diri / Self Servis" and said the second part was in Malay or what, because "self" obviously was English, but "servis"? Like the young chap in Maulud's story, no answer was offered.                                                                                                                          There was nothing much at the golf sale, so I decided to pop into the supermarket and looked around. I bought a few items and on the way out saw the "Roti Papa" kiosk and stopped and asked for "Roti Mama". The old Chinese operator grinned and said no mamas, only papas. His Malay assistant joined and said go to Econsave. In fact at Econsave they have a "Roti Mama" kiosk. Actually Roti Papa costs 1.80 while Roti Mama 1.50. I suppose the difference  figures. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: