Thursday, December 21, 2023

My book launch.

Fri, Dec 22, 2023.


Another year is closing in a week's time. It's the school holidays now, and Christmas is just 3 days away. And I just launched my first book last Sunday.

It took me 15 years to compile the notes that became the contents of the book. They were all there in my diary, sitting quietly, until Hank shook them out, exhorting me to let them see the light of day in a book. The jottings in my diary were never meant for publication. But Hank's challenge had to be responded to.  Finally, Sunday, I "tumpang" the FMC-PD's 70th Anniversary at the old camp, and "The Sungai Ujung diary - Talking Politics" was officially out on sale.

As required, I delivered my 243-word speech, and at the end of it presented a copy of the book to BB Wahab, our new Chairman of FMC-PD. And forgot to put my signature on it.

I said "tumpang" because the gathering was not about my book at all. It was a very well-attended, 2-day event, celebrating the birth of our old alma mater here in this very site in 1952.  Hank got Nawawi to include my book launch, although the book was not about the college at all. In my brief speech I mentioned that I don't feel I deserve this honour, but to decline would be rude. But in a way, the college had a lot to do in what I have eventually become as a person. I attended many schools in different places throughout my 18-year schooling, right up to university. But I credit FMC for some lasting friendships that leave positive impressions, leading to a mindset that was able to produce the written thoughts that filled my life diary.

The Dewan TSI had 120 seats, plus a row of sofa-seats for the VIP's. Every one was taken, with several more people standing around. It was a good crowd. In fact there were some of the wives with the children outside the hall, engaged in their own fun & games arranged. I could hear them from inside the hall.

Halim, the MC, made sure nobody spoke longer than necessary. Because all, except Nawawi, had notes, Halim didn't need to cut anyone. Nawawi, of course, was different. Normally he does the cutting, anyway.  He had no notes. He didn't need one. So it was easy for him to jump about, when speaking, and even took time to scold his nephew, one of the function's staff, for suggesting that he take the speakers' second rostrum, and not  Halim's.

We made good time in the hall, but wasted some time in the photograph session, but made it to the dining hall without much delay.

The durian supply, just like last year, was assigned to me. The durian feast nearly didn't happen. Strangely, although last year's function was  the same time of the year, this time the 3 suppliers I contacted in the previous 3 weeks couldn't guarantee quality and quantity to the 300 fruits we wanted, because of the ending durian season. Or so they claimed. Luckily, at about 11 p.m. Sunday 10th I managed to get hold of Deka, an old friend from Tanjung Jati. He got hold of Api, from Kampong Ibol, who confirmed that he had supply.

Immediately after our last committee meeting on Monday 11th, I pulled Hank to see Api and settled the order. I also wanted to test the fruit, because it was Orang Asli durian, and Hank could help vouch the quality. We found everything ok, and paid an advance. And my neck was safe.

Nawawi hinted that this might be his final act for FMC-PD, but don't believe him. Me, I'm more than happy I came for both days, and even brought my wife and a granddaughter to enjoy the outing. I'm very happy that my first book got a great launch. In fact I sold 29 copies in PD.



...........................................................................................


 

No comments: