Monday, December 4, 2023

79

 Tuesday 5.12.2023.


Would you believe it ? 79 years ago I was born, at the end of the Japanese Occupation, the first of  9 siblings from the same parents. I have to say this because my dad decided to have another 4 siblings through another mother. All 3 parents are gone now, together with eldest half-brother Yusof not long ago.

Maybe I should look back in time, before I enter the 8th decade tomorrow.

Birth date was 5th December, 1944, also a Tuesday,  19th Zulhijjah, 1363.

Primary School was in Kuala Pilah, and then in Tanjung Malim, and then Standard 6 back in Kuala Pilah. 

Secondary School was in Kuala Pilah, Port Dickson, and Sungai Besi.

University was the only university at that time - the University of Malaya, graduating  in 1968, at 23 + years of age.

I started working the same year. It was Melaka, then  KL- Seremban a few times, Port Kelang, and finally back in Kuala Pilah until 55 years of age.

Marriage was at exactly 27 years old. 4 children came in a span of 12 years, with 3 boys and the youngest a girl. She'll be 40 next year. There are 12 grandchildren - the oldest 19, the youngest 2.

The Hajj was performed at 38+. The only Umrah was done early this year, 40 years later.  I've arithmetically completed my solat qada' of 30 years, covering all the years back to age 10. Fasting misses were rare. Alms and sadakah can't be revealed - I don't want to lose "credit". So the "external" ibadah seems covered.

31 years of work and the retirement years since seem "ok". Nothing to shout about. But nothing to be ashamed of, either.

Health has been acceptable, though it could be better. Medication for the standard blood-pressure/blood-sugar age-affliction keeps everything, through now a bi-annual medical examination, under control. Golf and 2-hour walks through each week ensure the minimal physical exertion advised. So the "external" health regimen also seems covered.

That leaves the "internal" part.

For that, I try to keep on reading, writing, and lately, drawing, to maintain the mental activity. I'm still riding my scooter (155cc only, compared to the 750 cc I used to ride decades ago), but the sense of balance seems lessened, so I've to be careful. Hopefully, mental deterioration could be avoided. 

And that is where we are now. I thank God for His Blessings.


..................................................................................................


No comments: