Sunday, May 7, 2023

FMC-PD Raya do 7.5.23

 Mon 8.5.2023


I came early. Naturally I left early,too. I had to. The borrowed car had to be returned before 4 pm.

So, after the painstaking preparations by the committee, the 2023 Aidil fitri celebration for "FMC-PD 1952-1961" at the OPA penthouse must be deemed a success. All who were supposed to come, did (except one or two, as usual). The food was great. The camaraderie was obvious.  The noise was loud. So loud that Halim the MC had to shout into his mike to be heard. The other speakers - Halim "Cina", Radzi and the current OPA President didn't do what the MC did, and their words were just drowned by the din. This was no disrespect. We just couldn't stop talking to each other, making up for the lost time since the last time.

The whole thing was scheduled for 1100 hours to 1500 hours, to use the military parlance. I was the first to arrive, resplendent in my baju melayu as instructed (I whatsapp a photo to prove to Hank). The parking area was still empty, but I chose to park on the road side facing the way out. I knew the place would soon be full, and I didn't want to be boxed in when I want to leave later. 

The reception area ground floor was just being readied. The roasted lamb and the rest of the food and drinks were just being unwrapped on the 3rd. floor. The tables and chairs were all ready, filling up all available space except the President's office and the small board room. But it was just me and the food people. Nawawi came immediately after me, without his baju melayu. He put them on later.

I even had time for a cup of tea, toast and half-boiled eggs at the Dengkil R&R. I asked the cleaning lady to clear a table for me. When my order came, I paid for it and gave the change to that Flores woman. She said she's a Christian. When I arrived at the penthouse, it wasn't 9.30 am. I was 1 hour 30 minutes early. I also beat Halim.

Hank couldn't make it, in spite of being in the thick of all the preparations right from the beginning. That's why I had to borrow the car to come. For a few days now, Hank has this bad cough that he doesn't want to spread to others, he says. Nawawi arranged for a nephew to replace Hank at reception.

Well before the crowd arrived, the mouth-watering smell of the roasting lamb wafted into the eating hall. One of the committee members told the caterers to close the glass doors,  to keep out the kitchen smell. I told the large woman standing near the door that the smell of the roasting lamb was nice and appetising and the door should remain open.

I helped direct the arrivals to their tables, all numbered by intake years and "VIP" grouping. In the end, except for the very senior grouping inside, everybody just settled with their old friends and enjoyed the food and cendul and continued with the incessant banter.

As Radzi said in his speech (which I could hear because I was seated just next to the rostrum) this was a Raya gathering continuation of past years. The change of venue was because of the declining numbers for the FMC-PD group. This was why about 9 years ago this group was formed. This was felt necessary, so that the old seniors would not lose touch with the continuing main OPA.  

The OPA President acknowledged the efforts of the FMC-PD group. In fact the museum project initiated has been taken up by the OPA and should become reality soon. He announced the OPA's contribution for today (I asked Halim Cina "berapa?" but he refused to say), the OPA's own Raya later this month, and the oncoming Annual Dinner.

Hank asked to collect from Abu Bakar Sulaiman 2 of his recently published books that he had ordered. When I asked how much, Bakar said "later lah". I glanced through both books. I thought they're heavy stuff.

Ahmad Ayob reminded me of his kenduri on 2.6.23 at the Flamingo Ampang. It's his granddaughter's wedding. Granddaughter ? You're old, Aba Jiwa !

Aziz Rahman was informed about his friend Ismail Kamat's condition. He said he'll  visit after I showed him the photo. I gave him the address.

Suki complained I didn't answer his call during Raya when he visited his uncle in Tebat Kering, near our old house. I said I'd have answered, but I missed the call. And I didn't go back to KP anyway.

I left without telling Nawawi. He'd stop me. But he caught me on the phone at 11 pm. I pacified him by saying next time I'll bring some durians. He said no. Next is the trip to Perlis for Radzi's harumanis. I said Radzi said this season his orchard had failed. Nawawi said we could go across the border.


................................................................................

No comments: