Thursday, February 3, 2022

2.2.22

 Thurs 3.2.22

We resumed our interrupted weekly S2Walk yesterday, and I told Hank it was an auspicious date - 2.2.22. Deka (Tg. Jati) also sms'd about this date, adding wondering if he'd experience 3.3.33 ! That's a good 11 years, and I'd be 88 !

When we finished our 2-hour walk, we headed for "Urban Affairs" where we had breakfast last, but it was closed. It was still the CNY holiday. But not all joints were closed; we went to that cafe we visited sometime ago, and in the end the fare was ok. In fact the price was surprisingly cheap. Hank even wondered how they make any money at that rate.

Burkhan had sms'd Hank about a Nyaleh visit for "sup kambing" this Sunday, and inviting me and the missus as well. I'd love to go but Bersatu Seremban has earlier requested that I attend a party's conference 4-6/2/22 at Glenmarie Country Club. I'm keen to see the preparations made for GE15 by the party so far. The few bye-elections in the last 3 years have not produced the same kind of successes seen at GE14. If anything, UMNO seems to be making progress at revival. Bersatu has lost steam, and I'm ready to tell my Division that it's preparations lack depth and urgency.

Maybe 2.2.22 was auspicious because Hank's seemingly innocent question spurred me to expound a lengthy answer about 2018 and the inevitable 2023. 2018 saw the 60-year old domination of Malaysian politics by UMNO and BN halted. Following events from the 1MDB debut to the birth of Bersatu, I was sure of the demolition of UMNO and in a meeting of Mubarak NS about 12 days before GE14 had even produced some numbers I'd worked out, based on the trend on the past 13 GE's available on internet, to make a prediction.  It came out pretty close.

Old kampong folks may not want anything different from the "kapal layar" or "dacing", but their children went to universities and know alternative scenarios, here and in other countries. I was with UMNO from 1987 and carried the flag in GE 9 and sat in the state assembly for nearly 5 years. But I was dismayed by 1MDB and angered by Najib's response and behaviour. And there must have been enough people like me to have caused that historic defeat for UMNO in particular. I also believe that UMNO would have survived without Najib. Now UMNO is clawing back, and Najib refuses to be silenced by shame (has he one ?) or sentences (will there be a final one?). 

I asked Hank to say hello to Burkhan. He's wondering what to bring. I said "fruits". He wants something to remember. I said bring some of your cooking. If they're bad enough, Burkhan won't ever forget !


.............................................................................................

 

No comments: