Saturday, December 28, 2019

Another nephew's wedding.

Sun 29 Dec 2019.



The school holidays are always  popular for "kenduris", because everybody wants everybody to come, which doesn't always happen, of course. I'm sure Acam must have invited Bang Enon, Ari, Hasnah and the other first cousins. I had invited Kak Long and Bang Piei on her behalf. None of them had turned up by the time we left the kenduri for No. 3 Son's house at 3, which was close to the 4 o'clock closing time. In the case of Kak Long, her excuse was she had to attend another kenduri. The others must have good reasons, too, I'm sure.

Idah came one day earlier with Calit, to offer help to Acam. But she slept at Calit's Gombak house. I came with Dekna the morning of the kenduri.

In fact the actual wedding was a month earlier, at the bride's reception in Titiwangsa. Yesterday's return reception was at "Kg. Pengantin KL", in Setapak. Apparently there are many of these in KL now.

As weddings go, it was well-attended and merry. Because the couple had got together a month ago, they behaved familiar and waved and called out to their friends as they entered the hall and went through the usual rigmaroles of these functions. Those, too, were mostly simplified and certainly saved time, but we must have these, otherwise we might as well have "kawin koboi" (an explanation requires a separate blog).

I look forward to these functions because they are opportunities to meet old family members and friends, and there were many of them yesterday. I feel guilty because I couldn't give enough time to the people I met. I told Jiman to hang around while I mix around, but never met him again. Kama, Dekma's ex, came to me and we tried to squeeze in as much as possible with the short talk we had. Alang Ipin, those of Cikgu Shamsuddin's children who came, Kamariah Pak Ngah, Li Pank Ngah, my own kids and the 8 grandchildren who made it (No. 3 Son's 3 were missing) were all given short shrift by the time available. I even got to squeeze in "Vel, vel, vel Fahmi" the MP from Lembah Pantai, catching him as he was looking for a table. I gave him my mobile no. but he never made the "missed call" for his number, so that was that. But in the end I got to maximise the opportunity. "When will we meet again", cries the song.

As Eti walked past, I called her out to congratulate her on a well-prepared and well-presented welcoming speech for her younger and only  brother's matrimony. In fact at one point she was overcome with emotion, showing how much feeling was put into that speech.

I was happy that all my kids brought all their kids (except No. 3 Son, of course) because I wanted them to see the extended family ties, recognize all, and perpetuate the connection in time. Some ties would be thicker than others, but that's normal. You get on with life, and sustain the valued relationships. It's always mutual.

I only found out Aizat's other name of Naufal at this wedding. It makes good rhyme with his better-half, Nana. "Naufal & Nana" sounds better than "Aizat & Nana". I hope they have poetry through their future together.


...................................................................................

No comments: