Friday, October 11, 2019

Bandung, again.

12 Oct 2019.



Kak Long arranged for another trip to Bandung, first week of October, instead of the put-off Istanbul trip. That would have to wait, but must be done sooner or later. I had been there many years ago, but many friends have recently made the trip and have only wonderful stories to tell.

This time we put Lembang in our visit. Unfortunately, the crater Tangkupan Prahu was closed because of sulphur emission, so we put Dusun Bamboo and the Flower Garden into the list, and we enjoyed these.

The angklung show was delightful. The air was cool and the show professionally done. The scores of cute kids in colourful native dresses and the crowd participation made it really fun. I was given the no. 5 angklong and on cue shook the hell out of it.

As I wrote in my previous blog, the traffic congestion in Bandung, which is supposed to be the second largest city in Indonesia, has to be experienced to be believed. Even from the plane we can see how tight the houses are built together. On the ground, you wouldn't think 2 large vehicles can pass each other on the narrow lanes, but they do and safely, too. The main factor is the tolerence of the drivers. Maybe it's because they have no choice, maybe because of their character, but I don't see the anger and frustration that you'd find in Malaysia. I think it's a behaviour that can be learned. We are the same racial stock, eat the same food, speak, at least on the national level, the same tongue, dress the same, especially the women in their hijabs not there  maybe 10 years ago, and can pass for each other. But we don't drive the same way, and our road condition is much better.

This time we stayed in two different places. They were ok, but our last trip was much better. But then we leave our rooms early in the morning and return late in the evening, so it wasn't of utmost importance.

The first day at the club on my return, I met ex teacher Loo Tee Foo (I call him "lu tipu", of course) who inquired where I'd been. I told him, and he seemed keen. I told him he'd enjoy the weather and sights but not the traffic. But it's cheap. Air tickets, board & lodging, and internal transport cost me only RM 1K, pocket money excluding.

Kak Long agreed to arrange for a train trip to Haatyai in November. I told her to arrange for the hotel and internal transport, but to make sure we get KTM's senior citizens' discount. And avoid the weekend.

Naturally we didn't miss Bandung's Pasar Baru "boleh, boleh, boleh, belanja lagi!" I think the women spent most of their money here. We came on the first day, and again on the last day.


............................................................................................................

No comments: