Friday, September 6, 2019

exPD boys gathering Sept 5th.

Sept 7, 2019.



Hank & I were among the early arrivals at the OPA Penthouse, Subang. Nawi had organized a gathering of some PD boys to refresh recollections for the PD years in a write-up already done before this. True enough, there were several reminiscences that should embellish little stories that relate to the wonderful PD sojourn.

There were about 30 of us who came, which was ok for this sort of thing, I guess.  I had earlier poked at Nawi "only 20 ah?" because in the whatspp 20 names were mentioned. True to form, Nawi bristled. "You organize lah!"

The oldest college graduate, Bhajan Singh, who had stayed in England and France after retirement, and still has family in England, was there. In fact he's launching a book on 9th. October, but I told Hank I'll be in Bandung, but wouldn't have missed it otherwise.  Bhajan must be in his 80's but looks fit and strong, although he's back in Malaysia because of some health issues. 

The two armed forces big names, Borhan and the other Nawi were there. My personal friends Nor Shaari, Halim, Salim, Mooi, Liew, and Mat Sham were there. Of course Radzi had to be there, as he's always around. Radzi in fact should write about his personal journey through the years, because I know that he'd gone through some tragic times in his colourful life.

Those who spoke mentioned personal experiences that were humorous, inspiring and, in Mat Sham's case, emotional. These were formative years of six decades ago, when the world was large and unknown, and life-long friendships were being made.  Many friends have left us forever, but the memomory would never leave. 

As to be expected, the years have left their marks on all who came. Many came with canes. Dahan, who came late, must have lost half his weight and looked frail. All heads were various shades of grey. Mat Sham, who said he was 76 pounds then, must be carrying a third of that on his tummy alone, but otherwise looked alright. But the important thing was we were all well enough to make it. I wonder how many more gatherings like this can be attended by all of the "70 series". That's why I came. I've not been able to come for all OPA organized functions. Whenever I can, I will. While I can. 


................................................................................

No comments: