Saturday, October 17, 2015

Jali.

17.10.2015.

Jali was just 51 when he died, 14 years ago.  Sakinah, his widow, gave me his age just now during their son, Fitri's, wedding.

When Sakinah passed the invitation card to Idah about 2 weeks ago (unnamed, but the message passed was well understood), I had straightaway determined that I'd not miss this reception.

Jali was one of the three Terachi first cousins I'd felt close to, more than Bang Sarip, Kak Ngah, Daro,  Jamlus,  Wok and Wati,  although Bang Sarip stayed with us for a while in Tanjung Malim.  The other 2 were Udin, a teacher with an American M.A., and Khalid, a police sergeant.  

When in Felda I visited Jali at his staff quarters in Segamat and later in Seri Ledang. The first time I met Sakinah was at Induk's house in Terachi. It was Hari Raya or a wedding, I can't remember. But I remember noticing the rows of gold bangles she was wearing, and I said "so much gold !" At the wedding just now they weren't there, but I still asked about them. She laughed.

When I got the card and saw the address of the reception venue I knew Fitri must be doing well. This was at up-scale Bukit Jelutong. I was right. In fact all 6 children of Jali are university educated, the last girl doing her Law finals at UUM (GPA 3.2 she said). Jali didn't go to university, but would have been very proud of his children.

Sakinah said the Felda plot is now hers, all of 10 acres now about to be replanted with oil palm. My experience says that should give her nett 3K monthly for at least 25 years. With Jali's pension and the children doing famously, she'd be  comfortable. That is fantastic for the memory of poor Jali. Fitri himself has a First Class engineering degree.

I had to choose between Sakinah and Dek Ma, who had arranged for Dahlia's remarriage at the same day today, but as I said, it was an easy choice. In fact Ajit called while on my way to Bukit Jelutong and I told him, but Dek Ma's call came when I was inside the petrol station and the phone was in the car. I saw the missed call but did not call back.

We were the first guests to arrive - it was only11 o'clock , but stayed  until the couple had sat on the "pelamin", and then, in spite of the  light rain, took our leave. It was about 1.40. A nice wedding, we both remarked. I'm glad we came. We said prayers for Jali.



............................................................................................

No comments: