Sunday, October 19, 2014

Omar

19.10.2014.

Omar called late yesterday, asking for a game this morning. Declining my suggestion for just 9 holes, saying only 18 holes would make it worth his trip from Bangi, I agreed, with the proviso that, failing to get a partner at such short notice, we'd just play two balls. So when we met this morning and he queried "where are the others?" I reminded him of our sms about carrying on just the two of us. Next time, I said, give me at least two days' notice. This I reminded him again at the end of the game, which he concurred.


There wasn't any problem with our arrangement, notwithstanding the club's ruling that a two-ball flight has no standing on weekends. As usual the club simply has no crowd on any day. The four-ball walking group ahead had teed off way ahead, and there was no one behind. This must be the least populated  club in the world. The course is ok. The weather to day was fine. There were people playing. It simply wasn't crowded like all other golf courses would be on a weekend.


I've known Omar for some time, all because of golf, but we've not played together that often. We have our own regular partners. Playing together, just the two of us to day, we got to talk more than usual. But we still finished early - it was half-past eleven, from our seven-thirty start. We had the buggy, and didn't lose any ball, except I took extra time to find mine on the tenth hole, the rascal hiding in a thick patch after the second shot.


Omar played in the captain's trophy. I was quick to comment on the poor selection of participants. Tiong Meng, a regular player on the monthly medal and the inter-club games,  and a committee member to boot, wasn't selected, as was also left out, Jamaluddin, the club's auditor. And here was Omar, who cannot have more points than these two guys, selected. I mentioned my own story about reporting dangerous play officially to the club. Instead, I was issued a warning! 


I suggested that Omar continue working until full retirement, when he intimated that he's thinking of calling it quits when his bank's merger takes place. It's not so much the pay, I said, although he'll get compensated if he takes leave. It's  having something to do. Of  my own now 15-year retirement, I said I'd been doing several things, and presently am still active in some NGO, political and voluntary work. 

 
Talking about his bank, I reminded Omar to try and get for me a pass for upcoming CIMB Classic at KLGCC.   He said he'll try. I said last week I went to the Sime Darby LPGA at the same venue, courtesy of Zainal Pak Itam's  VIP pass. I had a nice time at the Chairman's Pavillion and got some nice goodies !


Omar's drive is longer. Admitted. But "drive is for show, putt for dough", I reminded him. So after giving him some putting tips, I won two balls for the first 9 and three balls for  the second 9, and I said that should be good for my share of the buggy fee of RM 58!


I paid for the  drinks. Omar shouldn't feel too bad for losing.



.........................................................................................................



4 comments:

kaykuala said...

Dear Zam,
It's great that you still have the stamina and the skills to hit around. I sincerely thought of getting out of 'retirement' from golf that is, but as yet still thinking. One of these days perhaps!

Hank

kaykuala said...

Dear Zam.
Perhaps it is a similar situation to your idea of getting back to water-colour painting. Yes, perhaps one of these days!

Hank

zainal mokhtar said...

Hank, let's enrol in an art class, in KL, PJ or anywhere. We need to acquire some of the basic technics, especially with water-colour.

kaykuala said...

Food for thought, certainly! Nothing like having a chat about it! Thanks!

Hank