Saturday, October 11, 2014

Yahya Yaacob.

11.10.2014.

I saw Hank's missed calls, two of them, made after 9 this morning, after my golf game and after I'd come back from Hairul's workshop, having sent Dekna's car for  routine servicing. That was about 2 p.m. I called Hank back. It was about the passing of a dear friend, Yahya Yaacob. I told Hank if I had gotten the sad news at 8 I would have abondoned my game and paid my respects, and with Hank in Seremban, I would have gone with him. He also didn't go because of some prior committment. 

"Jaye" was from RMC's days, both in PD and Sg Besi. I wasn't in the same Coy, but because we often met when working in KL, we were friends all along. He came to two of my children's weddings, missing the third one for some reason ( but he called to say regrets ) and the last one because he was sick. That was how I found out about his illness that finally, today, took him away forever.

Jaye  was last with JKR.  I went to his house once, years ago. I think it was his son's or daughter's wedding. He spoke about his "humble home", and how we, his old college pals, must have grand houses. Jaye had a great house in that great PJ neighbourhood, in fact. And not all of the rest of us live in palaces, at least not me !

Like many RMC alumni, Jaye was a sportsman. Except for most of his career he didn't play golf. Until rather late, that is. But having played other sports, he didn't take long to acquire the skills to play decent golf, and boy, he really made up for lost time. He became a constant in many of the budak boys' game until he became ill.

Speaking for myself, I'll miss you, dear friend. May God shower upon you His Mercy, amin.

Al Fatihah.


............................................................................................................

1 comment:

kaykuala said...

Dear Zam
Often time one reflects back on what happened with relationships:
1. Went to Allahyarham DYY's house in 2010 and we got to talking. He showed deep interest in poetry. He took out volumes of Shakespeare and thick books from Reader's Digest and opened a few pages to read. He also remembered some poems through memory and recited them then. I had not started my poetry writing then. We were just talking about blogging which I thought he might take up. That encounter fired me up and I later created my separate poetry web-site. Allahyarham DYY had a lot to do in getting me started on poetry
2. Brought our CEO for courtesy calls when he was in Treasury (before JKR) Tried to interest him in golf but could not. But as you said having been a sportsman he adapted very well to golf.He picked it up only when he had retired.
Semoga Allah SWT menempatkan beliau bersama orang2 yang soleh. Al Fatiha!

Hank