Friday, January 10, 2014

Malek Osman

10.1.2014.

Calit and I just made it to the surau at Lavender Heights for the final rites (sembahyang jenazah), Mat Cit coming late held up the prayers for about five minutes. 

When I went to pass the invitation cards for Dekna's wedding last August for Zul, Wok and Gayah, Zul said Malek had just moved to Lavender Heights, so I gave him a card to personally pass to him. I said I remember him a long time ago when Mak Long Limah and family used to stop over, sometimes sleep over, at our house in Tanjong Malim, on their way to or from Cameron Highlands where Pak Long Osman was working. Malek passed away Thursday.


We spoke a bit, Zul and I, him regretting not informing me personally. Ajit was the one who called me at 12 noon. These sort of things somehow get communicated and we don't usually try to reconfirm the sad news. We just go.


Mak Long Limah and Pak Long Osman have gone long now, as has son Bang Lang Hamid. When I was at varsity I remember coming home for a  weekend and knowing Bang Lang Hamid was at that time in Tampin and we didn't have a tv set then, I rode on my BN 3950 Honda 90 cc all the way to Tampin from Kuala Pilah because I wanted to watch a popular programme, I can't remember exactly, it was "High Chapparal" or something. I'd been following it at the First College and was more or less hooked. Bang Lang was laid to rest in Seremban.  His widow, from Pahang, died some years later.


Malek was a vet. He did come to Dekna's wedding. Zul must have delivered the invitation card. I'm happy that I took the time to speak to him that evening. In fact they were all standing together,  the siblings, Malek, Wok,Gayah and Zul. 


Malek is also now laid to rest here in Seremban.



............................................................................................................

No comments: