Friday, November 13, 2009

This one is still the old UMNO.

13.11.2009.

Last week Kudus called and asked if I'd like to attend an UMNO Divisional gathering, to start at 8.30 p.m. I said I'll try to make it. I told the wife about it, saying I'm not keen to go, but she said Kudus had taken the trouble, I should go, so I went. I wish I didn't.

This one was still the old UMNO. UMNO should go for substance and deal frankly with the current issues that bother the people. Not still talk about internal bickering. Not still go on about "courses" which are nothing but indoctrination, and not even subtly done. A one-day plenary session with a Supreme Council memeber would be helpful to both the participants and the HQ people. 

At my age I'm not going to some "Bina Semangat" camp with people half my age and rough it up, taking along my own toiletries and prayer mat. Who says these camps are a must to-day ? Are those instructed to conduct them the best people to instill whatever is deemed missing from ordinary UMNO members ?

When UMNO leaders speak on the podium, they can't just let go as if they are with a group of close friends. They got away with it before 2008. There is a certain decorum in public speaking that UMNO must practice to turn away from the damaging diatribe-slinging speeches.  This is one behaviour that is disliked by the public now. A divisional head, when he speaks in public, can no longer do so as if his audience is compelled to listen to his words when they contain the unacceptible, and self-serving words. Emotional rantings are un acceptible. He has to show a degree of professionalism and some standard of leadership. The dislike for UMNO now is because of its leaders who behave like this. This has to change. A Jelebu Exco member who passed by my table at the golf club some time ago and stopped to speak to me, because we know each other, passed a cruel remark about a Minister, his former boss, without caring to know if at the table everyone would stomach his utterance. It so happened that one of us was a serving Petronas officer. When the Exco member left, perhaps feeling proud that he had so bravely "hentam" the Minister behind his back, the Petronas fellow said " this is what I hate about UMNO." 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: