Thursday, November 12, 2009

I should've known it - you're on your own.

12.11.2009.

I had that fall from my motorcycle accident on 13th. July. I  received a Police traffics summons on 20th. October for failing to report an accident, under Section 52 (2)Road Transport Act 1987 (Failure to / not reporting an accident within 24 hours). The faint copy of the Police summons AH 037258 was hardly readable as to the Court appearance regarding which court and what date. So, having a daughter and a daughter-in-law who are lawyers, I thought this was "kacang". I couldn't have been more mistaken. I should've known it - you're on your own !

I asked Dekna to check the matter with her sister-in-law and her collegues, and happily waited for the good news. And waited. And waited. 

On 3rd. November I finally realized my predicament and telephoned the Chief Inspector who signed the notice. I explained that I was hospitalized after being brought unconscious from the site of the accident by a passing Police Officer. At no time after regaining consciousness did the Officer tell me, either at the Hospital when he waited at the ward, and later in my house when he came to visit several days later, that I have to make a Police report, I added. The good Inspector told me that's the law, but the offence could be compounded, which meant I didn't have to go to Court after all. So that very morning I went to the Police Station in Seremban 2 and paid RM 300, the maximum fine. The notice on the payment window said that after October 2009, all fines must be paid in full. If I had acted immediately by myself after receiving that notice, I would have saved RM 150.

Just now Dekna called to ask about more details on the original summons, thinking the matter was still pending. What was my response ? 

 "I've settled it ! I thought having a daughter who is a lawyer would be helpful !"
"I'm not familiar with the case."
 "Enough !" 
"OK". The call ended. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 comment:

norzah said...

Marah nampaknya, kazen. Janganlah kerana dek Na trentu sibuk dengan tnggjawab sendiri dan dapat teket polis tu perkara kecil dan biasa je. Tapi tak boleh lari punye.