Tuesday, January 16, 2024

First write in 8th decade.

Wed. 17.1.24.


Before the first month of the new year is out, I'd better write down something.

Looking back to the whole past year, as they say, it sure went by fast.  It's been 79 long years, and I thought that was quick. The kampong boy is an old man living in a town, now. All the shop-assistants call me "uncle" now, but that has been for many years already. But I don't feel I'm 80 ! In fact I don't know how I'm supposed to feel.

The wedding invitations  attended are no more for the children. It's the grandchildren. The funerals are all close relatives or close friends. And they're getting closer !  The medical check-ups line up the year's calendar. The eye-glasses don't help anymore, reading or playing golf. These things remind me about passing time.

The domestic economy looks bad. The politics look bad, domestic and international. What happened to "the good ol' days"?

I'm content to finish the daily chores I give myself.

I've published my first book last month, just making it before the year was out. My second book is with the same printers now. That should be out before the Chinese New Year. My golf is manageable at twice a week, with the same octogenarian playmates. With my official 18 handicap and spotting them 4 strokes, I still manage to make some money from the side-bets ha ha. I have my 120 golf books, and 40 Islamic books to repeat reading all year long, just like last year. Golf books and Islamic books ? You got to balance, lah! Just like last  year?  They're the same books bought long ago. Knowledge don't grow old. People do.

Maybe I should pause here. It's the first blog for 2024, anyway.


..................................................................................


No comments: