Saturday, February 25, 2023

Revisitting Makkatul Mukkarramah.

 Sun 26.2.2023 (5 Sya'ban 1444).


Praise the Lord, in 2 days time I'll be leaving for Madinah, and after 4 days, for Makkah, for the 2nd time after about 40 years. I'm with the wife, joining No. 3 Son and his family for the "Umrah & Ziarah", insya'allah.

My first visit for the hajj  was about 40 years ago. I was not quite 39 and went alone because No. 3 Son was only about a year old. We didn't want to leave him with strangers for 40 days. Now it's his wish that we join him for this Little Pilgrimmage. It'll be for 12 days.

There have been tremendous changes in Makkah and Madinah, of course, and I'm looking forward to seeing them. The costs have also seen tremendous increases. That's to be expected. But No. 3 Son insists that his mother must come, so here I am. I think it sets him back about 80 K. My 1983 visit only cost me 5 K. 

Yesterday we had a small prayer meeting in Seremban as a way of announcing the holy trip to our immediate family members. So I took the opportunity to let everybody know who's financing us. I added my thanks, and also added that hopefully the budget set aside would also include some "pocket money"!

Joke aside, I'm grateful to God that an offspring has answered the call for the Holy visit. I have never reminded the children about this "rukun". I pray that  the realisation happens. But I have given all 4 of them the basic lessons of Islam when in primary school. In fact Kak Zah, our old neighbour in Damansara Utama, calls this No. 3 Son "usataz", because the religious school is near her place, and he always attended the afternoon classes in baju melayu, like an ustaz.

I've attempted to immerse myself, this last month, in the spirit of the holy visit. Old phamplets have been re-read, old prayers pored over and the translations jotted down. My age says this would be a final visit. I hope to at least experience the sense of piety I know is not easy to evoke. 

I answer your Call, O God, I answer your Call. All Praise, Joy and Governance are yours. Nothing shares your Will.


.............................................................................



No comments: