Saturday, August 20, 2022

Hussin's son's wedding.

 Sat 20.8.2022.

I was confident I'd find the venue for Hussin's reception, the PKNS Sports Complex at Kelana Jaya.. After all PJ, Subang Jaya, Kelana Jaya and Damansara Utama are all in the same neighbourhood. But it turned out that the confidence was misplaced. 27 years is a long time, and things change, some quite drastically. That's how long since I moved to Seremban. I missed the turn from Seremban to the Federal Highway and found myself somewhere on the Bangsar diversion. Cursing and thumping the steering wheel with annoyance, I simply drove on until I saw some familiar sights, and looked for the road signs. I'd left the house at 9.30. I reached Hussin's kenduri at just a few minutes past 11. I promised Yoke Lin 11 sharp. So it wasn't too bad.

I surprised Hussin from behind. He was rightfully in front, receiving guests. I had to rush to the loo upon arrival, so I was from inside the hall. He pointed me to the table where Yoke Lin already was seated. The table soon filled up with Ramlee and the girls from ol' MHS. Our only regret was not more MHS staff came forward - Yoke Lin and I wanted to have an informal gathering. Sam was supposed to come. Ramlee later suggested another date to Yoke Lin. I miss Othman Abdul who left us some years now.

I had a great time, and said so to Hussin, our host. He frequents the internet, making brave commentaries on his facebook website. (Brave here means not being restrained by "political correctness" in the widest sense of the term). Once in a very long while I'd put in my briefest of comments, and apparently he follows even if not agreeing. 

Hussin was one of my personal  "First Three" at MHS, with Ramlee and Othman, right from January, 1991 at the MISC headoffice in Jalan Conlay, KL. The late Othman Abdul wasn't supposed to be with me at first, but since he was put at my disposal, I simply formalised the move, and Ariffin the MISC MD relented. Ramlee set up Operations, Hussin the opening of the eventual premises and pretty much running the whole Finance and Administrative units. Othman was the right guy at Marketing where I left him fully to his devices, and was he aggressive. I came from Felda as the Chairman's choice, but with 22 years in the Felda Group, I was quite sure how I wanted to run MHS, although the container haulage business was new to me. Letting these 3 free reins was my choice, and I believe it was the right one. Unfortunately, circumstances in 1994 with the entry of Khalid, my nemisis, threw havoc to a robust marketing enterprise built up with zero disturbance from MISC hq for 3 years. The accounts are there for forensic auditing, if you follow the recent political practice in the country. Unfortunately also, the entire MISC was later taken over by Petronas, and they have different ideas about direction and management. I don't know when MHS was finally closed down. Some of the staff were absorbed in the new company. Many of the executives moved on, as did the "First Three". But some of the managers I recruited have done very well in their new places.

The surprise menu was satay kerang from Melaka. The stall man said it was Hussin's personal choice. My favourite is satay perut. The guy said Hussin doesn't like perut. Hussin later confirmed this in his whatsapp. The satay kerang was ok. But there was no shortage of food. And I kept Yoke Lin busy, plying food to our table.

I had to force myself to leave after 2 hours. I wanted to visit my brother-in-law at the Thomson Medical Centre in Kota Damansara. He had a heart bypass operation 10 days ago. The procedure was ok, but his slow recovery has to be endured now. The guests were still enjoying their food, and my MHS table was still occupied, but I took my leave. I said good bye to Hussin and wife at the hall's entrance. I got into my borrowed car, and braced myself as I merged into the rushing Saturday traffic towards Kota Damansara.

Sorry, Sin, we were not paying attention to your wedding address when the couple was on the Pelamin. But we had a great makan.


...................................................................................

No comments: