Monday, October 25, 2021

Kamil mau kawin II

 Mon 25.10.2021.


Less than 2 years ago we all were in Telok Intan doing the exact same thing that we did yesterday, in Gombak - getting Kamil hitched. Even the guide car did the same thing - it must have broken the Plus speed record. I had no choice but to try and keep close. I didn't know the address. Later he ( the guide ) explained that he felt I was too close and wanted to keep some distance. No wonder he kept his heavy foot on the gas pedal ! Luckily Dekna's MPV was powerful enough. But actually the guide couldn't go fast enough. It was Kamil himself driving in his new Toyota Vios. He couldn't wait to be with his intended.


I don't really know what happened in the Telok Intan case. I heard there were some second thoughts on Kamil's part about having to move to Sibu. We didn't meet the girl then, because she was in Sibu. I could have given my observation, otherwise. This one in Gombak, she was the first person to welcome us.  I greeted her from my driver's seat. We had reached her house, and she was directing us to a parking spot. I drove close and winded down my window. "Salam lah" I chided. She smiled broadly and did. "Ni ke orang eh ? Nama sapa?" I heard my wife at the back of the car "ngado-ngado eh!" chiding me.


The road was congested with the residents' vehicles. I had to park about 50 m. away, by the side of the road. My passangers had alighted in front of the house, so Ari and I walked back. Apparently we were early. The Elder Brother to the mother of the girl hadn't arrived from Bandar Mahkota. But the waiting time was gone unnoticeably. Ari and the women kept on a steady exchange. We were outnumbered, the men. That was one factor. But the women were chatty, anyway. And I discovered one more possible reason Kamil ditched Telok Intan for this one. She's royalty. From Pahang. Her mother, as I'd guessed because it's Gombak, is Minangkabau. But the parents separated when the girl was 10.


I'd come secretly prepared, with the speech and the do'a, although I knew Ari was asked to handle things, and Bal's younger brother is the Imam from Cheras. But the Elder Brother, when he finally came half-an-hour late (the excuse was they were waiting for the cakes), was prompt and business-like and made the rest short and sweet. If I were to use my notes, it would be more lenghty because I wrote some "pepatah-petiteh". Not to be unnecessarily long, but to suit the "adat meminang" traditions we should try to perpetuate, I feel. The dates were annouced by the Elder Brother, and the ring was slipped on the future bride by Bal, Kamil's mom. That was it, and food was served.


It wasn't 1p.m. but we were quite hungry, having left Seremban at half-past nine and not stopping anywhere for a bite like we normally do. The food was simple but good. There were some Malay cakes, too. Cik Ani had called and asked to drop by the house. Since business was over, we took our leave. On the way out I spoke briefly with the Elder Brother and the young uncle, but we touched on a surprisingly wide area of subjects, including business and, of course, current political affairs. As usual I was free with my opinion, but the Elder Brother, a bona fide businessman, was measured.


I was lost, so Kamil had to be the guide again to Taman Malawati. We stayed a while. Cik Ani had prepared tea and cakes, plus we also brought some stuff fro the girl's place. I did my zohor, and Wafa had  followed me upstairs. She wanted to go to the toilet. She came out, and I said "basuh tangan!" and she dutifully went back to wash. She's 7 and in Std 1, but like children today, quite familiar with the smartphone. I was groping for the camera app. Wafa got it for me. That single snapshot of the girl is proof.


Duan wanted us to stop for mee curry at the Serdang R&R. We did. I looked for some fruits to take home, but none seemed appealing. So off we now went our separate ways. But not before I told Kamil to make this the final one. They're the same ages, and seemed comfortable with each other. She's gainfully employed in the private sector, and Kamil has already bought an apartment in Sikamat, so things look boringly normal. Behind Kamil and Bal, as we talked on the drive home, I said make the kenduri a memorable one for Pak Ijoi's sake.


There was still time for Asr prayer when we reached home. But I felt suddenly quiet fatigued, and lied down. I remember it was 6. I fell asleep and didn't get up until the Magrib call to prayer.  And all I did was drive from Seremban to Gombak and Malawati and back.  Must be getting old !



...................................................................................


No comments: