Thursday, May 20, 2021

Finally, vaccinated.

 Fri 21 May 2021.


Yesterday I finally got my Covid 19 vaccination. And in spite of all the hue and cry about it for the whole country for the last six months, it was a surprise.


It was a surprise for many reasons.


I can't remember exactly but think it was in late February that I first registered for vaccination. It was rather casual, really. I didn't plan it. I'd gone for my half-yearly medical check-up at the government's Klinik Ampangan. As the lady staff was checking me in, she asked if I wanted to get my Covid 19 vaccination, which had started then. I said yes, and she jotted down my i.c. number and my mobile number at the back of the tiny ticket printed for the que for the day's medical appointment. And by the way, would your wife like to have it, too, she added, and I said ok, and she wrote her i.c. on another tiny bit of scrap lying on the table. Until last month nothing happened. No calls. No messages.


Last month Maulud suggested I go to the town hall where they are doing the vaccination, among many other centres in Seremban. He got his there. That, too, was casual for him. He went to check, found his name in the p.c. they had, and got injected right there and then. I went and checked but found I wasn't registered in their system. I told them about the Klinik Ampangan thing. But they registered me after I requested them to, since there was no record of me on the "My Sejahtera" with them.. But it's been a month and there's been no news. Or so I thought.


All this time, there have been many articles in the media, and talk among family and friends about the whole vaccination thing. A neighbour, Cikgu Satar, also stopped by the house one day and spoke about his imminent vaccination appointment. The situation is seriously weighed by two opposing opinions - for and against vaccination. Cikgu Satar quoted a fireman who told him to not get vaccinated, and gave stories of bad experiences. But apparently scientific personalities have been putting out long, studious-looking articles both supporting and rejecting vaccination. My wife and No. 3 son are against it. Dato' Sulaiman and Ong Tiong Meng have been urging me to get it done, continuously. I was unsure.


When I was small, maybe seven decades ago, I remember the innoculations for small pox or something made compulsory at that time. I got mine. We all have that scar on our upper arm to show for it. If I'm not mistaken, they  dabbed your upper arm  with the medicine, then scratched on it. That's why we carry the rather obvious scar. That's why some took the trouble to have it done on less prominent spots on their bodies. Now the vaccinations are here again.


I've been lulled into indifference about the whole thing. If they don't call, I won't call to check. That was the decision. It was not anti-vaccination as such. The one fact that stands out for me is the argument that the various vaccines with different effectiveness have been rushed through. These things surely require time and study. It seems that politics have overcome science.


Yesterday I was at home. It was 9 in the morning. This was my fifth day of the 6-day Syawal fast. The mobile rang. It was Dato' Sulaiman. Normally it would be the whatsapp. Then most probably I'd miss the action required because I'd go through the whatsapp I receive daily later in the day. 

             "Give me your i.c. number"

5 minutes later he called back.

           "Your vaccination time is 10 a.m. at Klinik Senawang"

I dropped my kain pelikat and old t shirt, shaved (my stubbles were 2 days old - you have to keep appearances, man), saw that the wife (also fasting like me) was still in bed, snoring, and jumped into the car. Which way is Klinik Senawang ? A 1-ton lorry made sure that about 10 cars behind it would tail it for 3 km before the junction for another 2 km to the Klinik. My car was no. 10. This time of the day you can expect the car park at the clinic to be full. It was overfilled. Fortunately, just as I crawled along, a car in one of the parking slots pulled out, in front of me. I looked at my watch. 9.45 ! I took the first entrance and asked about the vaccination station. It was not the right entrance. Three more stops and seeking directions. I finally made it. 2 blue-uniformed nurses (not the normal colour, I thought) at the table passed some forms to fill, including one absolving the Klinik of resposibility for any misadventure, checked my submitted name into their pc and found my name in the list, pointed me to the next table. It was a young female doctor. She didn't even look at the medical report I had with me from Dr. Miszua. She just ticked my name, and asked to take a number hung on a neck-string and to put it on, and pointed to the yellow line and said follow it. I was met by 2 doctors at the end of the yellow line. My particulars were checked. Then I was told to go the the nurse at the table about 5 m. away. That was the jab-station. "Left arm, please, you're right handed." And it was over. No pain. Now back to the last doctor. "Appointment for 2nd dose in 3 weeks. Now go to that nurse for 15 minutes of observation for ill-effects. Give me back your tag." After about 15 minutes the nurse said you can go home  now.


Two articles about the loss of defence immediately following vaccination were only read when I reached home. I'm taking it very seriously. I'll confine myself for 6 weeks after this. But without this knowledge, I had casually turned into the Giant supermarket. What saved me was, somehow My Sejahtera recorded me "red" on my mobile. I was denied entry. OK you don't want my money, I'll go to Mydin nearby. Again my mobile showed "red" and was stopped. I went home, irritated. How can they know about the vaccination on the mobile, because that must have been it. When I read the articles, I realized I'd been saved from making contacts when my body was losing defence fast. Lucky me.


I sms'd Dato' Sulaiman, thanking him and relating the rest. I said no golf for now.


Looks like no Friday prayers for now , too. 


The State government issued an order yesterday that mosques must follow the sop 21 May - 7 June where only a congregation of 12 (twelve !) is allowed. Maulud sent the article. I said "when Nungka Nagkir ask who told you, I'll say Maulud"



...................................................................................


 

No comments: