Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Hank, after half a century.

Wed 21st Feb 2018.



I literally bumped into Hank at the NSK Trade Store, the relatively new supermarket at S2. I'd just completed some transactions at AXA Insurers just next to it, and thought I'd just drop in and see some stuff, and who did I find, but my old friend back from 1961. Wow, that's 57 years ago ! This was a pleasant surprise because we have not met for some time.

When we were together at UM 1965-1968 we were housemates for 2 terms at "Kawasan Melayu," in Section 14, I think, in PJ. After graduation we went our separate ways, but frequently met each other because of various activities and common interests.

Since we were doing some shopping just now, we agreed to meet at the in-house eating place in half-an-hour, and we did. I had tea, Hank asked for cendul, but Hank had to leave at 4 sharp. But not before we agreed to have a golf game on Thursday March 1st. at S.I.G.C. Since he claimed to not have played for 5 years, and would have to look for his clubs, I said to just turn up with his reciprocal card and I'll bring the clubs and some balls.

In fact we took up the game together, way back in 1986, when we both got our handicaps, me in Seremban, and him at K.G.N.S. So March 1st would be an interesting game. That's plenty of years in the gap.

Hank is alone now, having lost his wife last year. He says he alternates between Seremban, where he has a house, and PJ, where his eldest daughter stays in his other house. I suggested he circulates an old photo if he wants to get a new wife. In the mean time he claims he cooks himself. I feel sorry for whoever is sharing his cooking.

There're a lot of stories about Hank, but they deserve separate pieces. I'll just state here that in January 1991 I did an exceptional"service" for him, one that Sha, our friend, had once said "Hank, you're too much lah". On his request then, I agreed to hire his girl friend as my new secretary. No interview. I was the GM. I caught them a couple of times from my office window, which overlooked the back road to my office building, Hank dropping my secretary in his Mercedes, coming to work in the morning. He must have left house very early in the morning to be able to do this, because my secretary was never late, and Jalan Conlay was at least 30 minutes from Taman Tun Ismail at that time.

I'll just stop here for now.


.........................................................................

1 comment:

kaykuala said...

That part of 'dropping her at your office'? 'I' was not aware until now and you kept it a secret all these years! 'But' only on a few occasions upon request. There were some reasons that prompted it, nothing more than that. Btw, to pl check on the latest on the March 1st intended game on your sms. Hank's golf muscles need to be given a once-over after such a long lay-off. The new date will allow a respite hopefully for a creditable performance. Tq

Hank