Thursday, December 25, 2014

Taib is no more.

25.12.2014.

To use the full name he preferred, even when registering for morning golf - "Hj. Mohd. Taib in Husin". But it's Cikgu Taib to most others, and "Pro kampong" to the rest of us in SIGC.

The last time we played was after  Hari Raya Puasa. The last time I met him was after Hari Raya Haji, at HUKM, Cheras, when he was admitted ,again , for the same complaint that hospitalised him the last time. In fact that same day that Maulud, Jane and I visited him at HUKM, he underwent a seven-hour operation.  It ended with a no-go for the pancreas, and had a bypass in his intestinal tract to allow him to process his food. The gang kept putting off visiting him at home after his discharge. Even this morning Maulud was supposed to come with me and visit him after our nine holes. That never happened.

I was at the club at 7.15 and was waiting for Maulud and Zainal "Pak Itam" when one of the morning golfers came and said "hey, your friend Taib passed away just now".

Apparently three days ago Taib was hospitalised because of a lung infection. He never recovered. At 6.15  today, Christmas Day, he died.

When Zainal Pak Itam last visited him at home, Taib was already weak and emaciated. They had to buy a special bed for him.

I called No.3 Son to tell him the sad news. When my son was  transferred mid-term at Form III from Damansara Utama to KGV, it was Taib, as Principal at KGV, who had the authority to give consent, and he approved on the spot. I reminded my son  about it.

Since I moved to Seremban in 1995, Taib, while still working, and later after he retired, was my regular golfing partner. But it started even before that, though not on a regular basis. I've been a member since 1978.  Taib was "the Kampong Pro".  I think he was playing to handicap 9 at that time, but his unorthodox style gave him this title. We had our usual golf arguments that to this day Ton, his wife, never comprehended. But  I think both of us enjoyed all our fights. He was always complaining about my refusal to give a discount whenever I won.  But he went 100% by the book. One mistake and you're gone, no quarters given.  The most I made in a single payment ( for one year's play ) was rm 2,000. But that was after a 50 % discount ! This last one year, without knowing about his illness, Taib's game had deteriorated. Now we know why.

I waited until Taib's remains in the "keranda" had been put into the funeral van and had moved to the cemetry before I left the mosque. I did not approach Ton. I didn't feel up to it.  I pray that Taib had been a good husband and father.



..........................................................................................................

No comments: