Sunday, December 29, 2013

The last weekend for 2013

29.12.2013


We met up again after , I don't know, how long was it ? - Col. "Rimau", Tajri and Faizul, at Aik Kheow's daughter's wedding to a US domicile Korean at the One World at First Avenue One Damansara last Saturday. The wife couldn't make it with so many things happening at home this last weekend of  the year.

With the noise of the going-ons it was difficult to carry on any conversation around our no 16 table, so mostly I talked to Faizul sitting next to me. Col. Rimau as usual was carrying on with his bombastic pronouncements on what he perceived to be the current political scene (totally lopsided, as usual) and then turning to Tajri, talking to him but covering his hand on his mouth as if to be mute whatever secretive message he had. I just ignored him. Faizul and I had some catching up to do anyway, so we were engrossed. When Tajri and Col. Rimau took their early leave, Faizul and I stayed. Eventually I  left before him at about 10.

Aik Kheow, Tajri, Col. Rimau and Faizul and I went back to 1985 when I was with Felda Angkut.  Now it's called something else. Faizul was one of my operations managers, and the others were our contractors. As I remarked to Faizul that night, I helped all three in no small way in their businesses. I pointed out that I chose Kudrat Maritime over the others for no other reason than that Osman brought Tajri to see me.  I remember the first time we played golf together (me with no handicap !) at the par 3 Saujana Golf & Country Club and I used a driver. I thought all  tee shots were  with that club !

Aik Kheow sends his annual Raya greetings, as does Tajri, but that's about it now. And this wedding invitation.  But Aik Kheow hasn't missed all four of my children's weddings, and I went to Taiping twice for his two sons' weddings. But Tajri missed my daughter's wedding. When we went to London in 1986 I remember Tajri helped carry my 2-year old daughter in the cold, walking to Oxford Street from our apartment.

I brought Faizul to MHS, I think it was 1992. He was hesitant at first. I think he expected a better offer. I told him come first, things should work out.  This is business, and I'm here. He accepted. I think he's happy he came. After I left in 1994, he also left to join Kudrat Maritime, and now he's part-owner after buying out Tajri. He couldn't have done this if he remained in Felda Angkut.

I left without telling Aik Kheow, the busy host, but told Faizul to do so. I had golf fixed on Sunday.


....................................................................................................



No comments: