Monday, June 8, 2009

School Holidays.

8.6.2009.


I'm only aware of the school holidays because my calendar says so. Only the relative thinness of the morning traffic and the endless wedding invitations confirm it. My morning constitutionals remain unchanged. Only my golfing kakis are dispersed, so I make do with whoever is around. This morning it was Jane and Amy, both of whom I promptly lost to because a total of 9 strokes given for 9 holes was just impossible for me. The only satisfaction was being two-on at the index 1 par 4 that produced a Tiger-like short birdie putt.(For you non-golfers, the "index 1" means it's the toughest hole in the club.)

I watched the Obama Cairo speech and note the mixed reaction worldwide. For me, talk is cheap - let's see the walk. The unofficial leader of the Free World can set the tone to address the Islam-West strained relations, and the Palestine 60-year old issue. I can see that the continuing construction of the settlements by the Jewish state is a deliberate bargaining chip being planted. The hypocricy of nuclear containenment is starkly exposed by allowing for a nuclear Israel.

On home front, Najib should realise how many Malays are not actually embracing him yet, and how many disapprove of his cousin, the Minister of Home Affairs. The failures of the Dollah government must be corrected, and very quickly. I stress the Malay support because if only the UMNO members are solid behind BN, then that is one giant step for Najib already. 

In the gloom of the economic meltdown, only sports brighten my day. Here is a case for Malaysian talent at the world level, where race is not factored in. In fact if the government of the day can get its act together in sports, it could go a very long way toward 1Malaysia. 


..........................................................................................................

No comments: