Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Dear Sumayah, just 10.

 Wed 12.6.24


I was just finishing my Subuh wirid when Ari called with the sad news of Sumayah's passing at the HTJ, Seremban. I broke the news to Idah, still lounging in bed, and Dekna, dressing up for work.

Sumayah was just over 10, so young, so full of what could have been,  Alas, we accept it as God's Will.

All our plans for the day were scuttled - my meeting with the Protocol Office at the State Secretariat, and Dekna's busy work at office. Only the grandchildren's schooling remained intact, of course.

Everyone closely related were assembled at the Lonek house by around 11.30. 

When the doctors released her about 2 weeks ago from  the hospital in the final treatment for her terminal illness, Sumayah herself chose to be with her grandmother in Lonek, when  her parents' place is in Seremban. How touching for the granny. Bal cried on my shoulder when we entered the house upon arrival. I could only rub her shoulders, and through my own soft tears mumbled "I feel sad. But I know you're much more sad."

The remains were bathed and shrouded in hospital. When the HTJ ambulance arrived around 11.30 am, the body was lifted out and laid on the readied bed in the dining hall. I couldn't stop my own quiet tears when the face was uncovered for everyone to see. It was such a sad sight, and did not look a bit like the girl I knew.

Ari quickly gathered around those present to sit and read the "ya sin" surah. He then asked me to recite the do'a, and I did, when no one would take my offer.

Earlier, I'd spoken to Yunus, the father. Ari had actually arranged for the Imam to lead the funeral prayers. I said to Yunus "do this final service for your daughter. Nothing is closer to her in supplication. It's a simple prayer - four takbirs, the Fatiha, the Prophet's salutations, and the two other prayers you can say in your heart"  He relented. I was happy that my advice was heeded. I told Ari to tell the Imam about the change. And after the actual prayers later, the two men who prayed beside me whispered to each other in a pleasantly flattering way "it's the father !" They didn't know beforehand.

Sumayah was laid to rest next to her late grandfather. How fitting.


...........................................................................................................

No comments: