Sunday, April 14, 2024

My 80th Raya Puasa.

 Monday 15.4.2024 (6 Syawal 1445 H)


Zainab on her whatsapp had asked last week if Raya would be on Wednesday 10.4.2024. The Istana Negara announcement wasn't due until Isya' Tuesday 9.4.2024, but I confidently said yes, from gut feeling. I was right, although the slightly delayed broadcast had caused me a late slight doubt on my earlier optimism.

I had in fact already invited the 694, the 384 and the Ujangbanun family groups to come for this Raya gathering at the house on Friday, the 3rd Raya day, even as I'd confidently confirmed the Raya date to Zainab. I'd ordered 750 satays from Wak, and also invited Hank, Tok Maulud and Durai, the non-family friends. The wife and kids  -  they had simply followed my messages on my whatsapp and made their own preparations accordingly.

With a few absentees, the Raya gathering was a success. The last to arrive, just as I was finishing off the last 20 sticks of satay perut (my favorite dish), at about  9.30 pm was Tok Maulud.  As usual he was always the last to come even at our golf fixtures. Anyway, the two of us cleaned up the last scraps of food,  literally. All the dishes and the beverages were completely cleaned up ! And there were 4 very large garbage bags of used plastic plates and bowls and cups and forks and spoons bearing witness to the party.

We've been doing this for a long time now, this 3rd-day Raya thing. This sort of makes up for the laboured house visits, over a stretched period. But this time, because of the Friday prayers, the time had been slightly tightened, causing the initial jam at the food table. One very large stand fan,  3 other stand fans, and all the a/c units and ceiling fans inside the house were switched on to fight the high solar-equinox temperatures, only to a bearable level. I think the next time we could rent an external a/c unit and put a temporary plastic wall to better fight the ambient temperature.

The grandchildren showed the most enjoyment, heartily consuming the satay, mee kari, soto, kueh-mueh and hot-and-cold drinks. They even put up a show with the karaoke set No. 3 Son brought. This encouraged individual  performances from the crowd, including my besan, Suhaily. Of course she was more than willing to perform - she was a professional singer once. No 2 Son even hauled in the ice-cream vendor who happened to pass by and bought up his entire stock that everyone, young and old, happily enjoyed.

A happily done kenduri Raya Puasa for the immediate family members, I declare.  My 80th.   Alhamdulillah.


............................................................................

No comments: