Saturday, October 23, 2021

A walk in the park.

 Sat 23.10.2021.


We agreed on today a few days ago, Hank and I. I suggested to Calit separately to join us, but he had an excuse, as usual. But the breakfast part he readily agreed to.


I'm talking about a 2-hour walk, not in the park, but in S2 today, followed by breakfast at "Urban Tastes" close to "Mydin" where we agreed to rendezvous at 7.30 a.m. I was there at 7 sharp. Hank came at 7.30 sharp, but 30 minutes late by my count. Considering his house is close, at Rasah-Kemayan (one of the numerous S2 neighbourhoods) and mine is 5 km away in Ampangan, Hank was totally out. But I expected it.


In the end it was an enjoyable morning. The banter was incessant and covered decades and worlds past. We're in our late 70's. I insisted, and Hank agreed, that we enjoy the scenery while we can. I was jubilant that Hank promptly agreed to the walk planned and in the end it was thoroughly fun.


I'm not sure how far we walked in the 2 hours. It was slightly briskier than leisurely because of Hank, and he tired first. I think we probably covered 5 km. Normally I walk faster, like I did in my Forest Heights hikes before this, which I did alone. Today's walk in S2 was precisely because I wanted Hank to join me. The Forest Heights track is a good one, but today's track in S2 was also good. I suggested, and Hank agreed, that we do this again next week.


I'm new at this. Golf was my choice of exercise before this. But the "chikugunya" I contracted 3 months ago meant that this walking thing friends suggested should be tried. They are right. I'm making it my other exercise form from golf. I had walked solo before today. Company makes it more fun, I find.


We were back at Mydin by 9.30. Hank couldn't suggest a place for breakfast, so I called Calit and he immediately came. That's how we ended up at "Urban Tastes". Calit said this place is popular with the young crowd, which made our presence an exception. But the menu was a bit disappointing. There was no English or American breakfast. I settled for nasi goreng kampong, in spite of the "urban" sign, and Hank settled for mee, while Calit settled for pasta, which is actually also mee. The bill was settled by Hank. He paid with a 100-bill, and I pointed to the amused waitress, "see, orang kaya". To comfort him I said the next one would be on me. I'll see if I can wrangle out of that, too.

.......................................................................................................

No comments: