Friday, September 3, 2021

Pin.

 Sat 4.9.2021.


Pin died at about 8.30 Friday morning at HTJ after nearly 2 months in a coma, from pneumonia and subsequent massive organ failures. He was not quite 53. Friday is considered a holy day by Muslims.


I first met Tajul Ariffin when his parents and I were staying at Jalan 4C Ampang Jaya, way back in 1969, not long after the May 13 riots. Later they moved to their own house, "Juwita". just down the road. I forget the number, but it's just 100 yards away. It was at 4C that I met again with Pin's auntie, my future wife, and that's why I remember.


Pin was a hyperactive, naughty boy who would greet guests to his house with a wide grin and a stare. Bang Piei one time jokingly remarked "nak terokam ko?" when he came visiting.


Ari was also staying with Idah and Pin's family at 4C. I would see Ari sometimes with a blue jacket on in front of the house. 


Once Pin fell into the large concrete drain in front of the house and had a bad cut on his head, but otherwise was ok. Time flew, and I remember Pin went to UiTM Kuantan for his accountancy. Years later, when he had set up his own accountancy firm near Kg. Baru, KL, when I asked him how did he fare at his exam, he said "cukup makan je". We all went to his wedding in Kuala Selangor or somewhere there, I think, and through the years saw him being successful in his work, and more than successful in enlarging his brood. At the last count he had 8 kids, I think. By now Pin had become the quiet, well behaved one. His parents remember him as the good, quiet son.


When his parents moved to Seremban in the 90's, Pin stayed at "Juwita" until a few years ago. They bought the house just behind Pin's parents' house and sold off "Juwita". Ever since, the TDS house kept on being renovated, the last one being the outdoor parking opposite the road. But to me the house has remained a mystery because the tall, heavy metal gates have always remained shut, and the view is completely blocked. Even when Pin joined our takbir Raya group (before covid 19) that went to all the members' houses, Pin's house always got bypassed. Pin wouldn't say why. We didn't ask why.


When I was the surau chairman, I asked Pin to join our committee as treasurer. Bang Dik asked not to take him, but Pin agreed. When I left I don't know if he remained.


Somewhere along the way, after marriage, Pin joined the tabligh movement. And today his children are also in this, but they have not neglected their studies. In fact they have done very well, with several outstanding performances, not just "cukup makan" like their father. Pin had gone overseas with his missions, including to Mekkah, India and New Zealand. I know these are taxing on the purse and family life, but Pin seemed to have managed them, somehow. Md. Noh Jidin said public accountants must participate in their annual conferences and courses to maintain their licences, and wondered how Pin handled those, with his extended tabligh trips. Bang Sudin also told me that once he asked Pin why he didn't try to get more accounts to audit, and Pin said he was happy to maintain RM 30 K a month.  If that is nett, then he was very ok, because Memi told Idah he makes about that now, and he's an employee only.

 

Idah took Pin's passing badly, and Dekna said her mom was crying a lot. I told her your mother took care of Pin when small. She related how kind Pin had been to some members of the extended family. When Sumaiyah was hospitalised for her long sickness, Pin gave Bal RM 1K, and no one else knew this. Sham said Pin was the first family member to visit when she moved to Seremban from Singapore.


Before Covid 19 I would have Raya gatherings on the 3rd. day for family members. Pin's large entourage never missed these. He'd ask my wife "buat apa Mak Idah?" She'd say "datang je lah !" Now we'll all miss him. God Bless you, Tajul Ariffin.


.......................................................................................................

No comments: